Art Of Leadership: Beyond The Nuts And Bolts Of Managing.
Volumes have been written about
the MBA-driven attributes of top business leaders. These are the
button-down, rigorously mandated strictures of executive leadership
that every "proper" leader shall possess. But is there more than
this neat list when it comes to leading others? Yes. There's an
art to leadership. Learn the 15 inner qualities that top leaders
The Art Of Leadership
Beyond The Nuts And Bolts Of Managing
Bill Cole, MS, MA
Founder and CEO
William B. Cole Consultants
Silicon Valley, California
"Hold yourself responsible to a higher standard
than anybody else expects of you. Never excuse yourself."
--Henry Ward Beecher
"The new leader is a facilitator, not an order giver."
Volumes have been written about the MBA-driven attributes of top
business leaders. You know these traits. These are the button-down,
rigorously mandated strictures of executive leadership that every
"proper" leader shall possess. Many companies train their executives
in the firm's laws of leadership. These guidelines go something
- Responsibility, accountability and reliability.
- Knowing the numbers and managing the bottom line.
- Understanding goals, objectives and directives.
- Delegation and administration of people and other resources.
- People and business development.
- Maneuvering in the operational realm.
- Being a strategic and tactical manager.
- Playing the political game.
But is there more than this neat list when it
comes to leading others? Is there something that transcends what
the B-school training and best-selling biz leadership books suggest?
I think there is. There's an art to leadership. Ineffable qualities
that set the top leaders and managers apart. These executives have
a knowing way, an intuitive manner, an inside sense of themselves
that can't be found in the pages of textbooks and executive audiotapes.
They have inner qualities that also show well and play well on the
outside. What are some of these?
The 15 Artful Sides Of The Complete Leader
1. Personal Integrity. Being a person
to be trusted and admired.
2. Personal Courage. Standing up to bullies and negative
forces for what is good and right.
3. Personal Consistency. Being the person at work who is
also that way away from work.
4. Intellectual Rigor And Honesty. Deep scholarship combined
with consistent arguments and reason.
5. Mental Toughness. Bouncing back from every adversity and
daily speed bumps.
6. Focus And Concentration. Maintaining resolve and direction
7. Personal Bearing. Upholding personal dignity and a sense
of team humanity under trying conditions.
8. Command Presence. Soundly and calmly directing energies
and people in the heat of battle.
9. Charisma And Star Quality. Having that certain something
that makes people turn to see who just walked into the room.
10. Intuition And Gut Sensing. Trusting instincts and inklings
about situations and people.
11. Personal Style And Flair. Cultivating and displaying
a unique signature on everything.
12. Seasoned Judgment. Weighing multiple objective and subjective
viewpoints in making decisions and charting courses.
13. Unique Communication Style. Building powerful ways of
influencing others and of projecting self.
14. Story-Telling And Humorous Abilities. Transforming the
organization with entertaining and instructive fables and creations
that educate and enlighten.
15. Creative Problem-Solving and Exploration. Innovating
means of resolving conflicts, conundrums, paradox and the unknown.
The artful leader takes leadership to the next level. This next
arena is often untidy, unpredictable, challenging and ever-changing,
yet exciting and satisfying.
- The artful leader is a brave explorer.
- The artful leader is a nuanced orchestrator.
- The artful leader is a daring catalyst.
- The artful leader is a clever synthesizer.
- The artful leader is people-developer par excellence.
- The artful leader is a gentle, caring human being.
- The artful leader is a holistic renaissance person.
The artful leader is all this and more, because
the artful leader is an ever-expanding self, growing and learning.
The artful leader is a work of art in motion. I leave you with one
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing
--Martin Luther King, Jr.
Copyright © 2011-
Bill Cole, MS, MA. All rights reserved.
Bill Cole, MS, MA, a leading authority
on peak performance, mental toughness and coaching, is founder and
CEO of William B. Cole Consultants, a consulting firm that helps
organizations and professionals achieve more success in business,
life and sports. He is also the Founder and President of the International
Mental Game Coaching Association (www.mentalgamecoaching.com),
an organization dedicated to advancing the research, development,
professionalism and growth of mental game coaching worldwide. He
is a multiple Hall-Of-Fame honoree as an athlete, coach and school
alumnus, an award-winning scholar-athlete, published book author
and articles author, and has coached at the highest levels of major-league
pro sports, big-time college athletics and corporate America. For
a free, extensive article archive, or for questions and comments
visit him at www.MentalGameCoach.com.
Free Re-Publishing Rights For This Article
You have our advance permission to republish this article,
as long as you do not sell it. The author's name, web address (MentalGameCoach.com)
and copyright notice (Copyright © Bill Cole, MS, MA) must appear
in all reprinted articles. If the article appears on a website or
in an e-zine, the article must include a link to a page in the MentalGameCoach
website. We would also appreciate your including the author's bio
and full contact information in your article, although this is not
a requirement. For additional information, see our full article
re-publishing permission guidelines.